Sunday, June 06, 2010

«OH, ART IS TOO HARD»

What is it about art that makes us hate art lovers so very much? It's easy enough to love artists themselves, particularly artists who can convey emotion beautifully on the canvas but who struggle to express simple thoughts in conversation. I like that over-abstracting flavor of awkwardness in a person. What I don't like is the sorts of people who speak fluidly and easily and steadily at art openings, stuffing green grapes and Brie into their faces while deciding which painting will go best in their guest bathroom. Do I hate their big, dusty piles of cash that much? Or do I hate this urge to own something that came from such a pure place, to frame it and show it off and use it to service their own egos? But aren't we all ego-driven louts?I am allergic to sophistication, is the bottom line. This must be why I get a strange tickling feeling in my throat when presented with "Work of Art's" Tim Gunn: Simon de Pury, "a leader in the international art world," who was the chief auctioneer at Sotheby's for many years. I love this description of him from his business's website: "He generates excitement in the saleroom, displays great charm and wit, and can conduct sales in four languages — English, French, German and Italian."
"My approach to art is purely phys-ee-cal," offers de Pury. "I normally know in the first split second if it's a great work or not." Oh sweet Jesus. Have you ever heard anything so deliciously pompous in your entire life?

Heather Havrilesky
Salon.com
June 6 2010

1 Comments:

At 4:16 PM , Blogger Daniel said...

OMG that is precious...I just adore critics, and those delicious others who verbalize what I can only say with paint.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Green Bags
Free Web Page Counters
Green Bags

raptiva

free counter
free counter